Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Preparing for the worst, but still hoping for the best

After turning in our I-601 waiver packet, I stumbled across this wonderful website: www.immigrate2us.net .  This is an amazing resource for anyone going through any type of immigration proceeding.  There's tons of detailed information and even more people who are going through the exact same thing that are more than willing to offer a helping hand or a sympathetic ear.  I only wish that I had found this resource sooner.

Since finding this website I have discovered that my lawyer is not NEARLY as knowledgeable as I would have hoped or expected considering the amount of money we have payed him and the amount of trust we've place in him.  And that's really scary.  I've also realized how short and unorganized my hardship letter must appear in comparison to what others have submitted.  And I've even come up with new hardship arguments that I could have used, but failed to realize earlier.  So . . . I've been a bit worried about what we will find out when October comes around.

On the flip side, The Dreamer is still positive.  And I'm extremely grateful for that.  We have a strong belief that God is in control and that despite the apparent insufficiency of our waiver packet, perhaps miracles do happen.  So I am trying to have faith and say "when" The Dreamer returns, instead of "if" The Dreamer returns when discussing the issue.

At the same time, however, I do feel that it would be negligent on my part not to prepare for the worst, just in case.  So I have been trying to investigate the options we have for recourse if our waiver packet gets denied.  I know that we will only have 30 days from the denial to turn in some form of new paperwork, so I have begun organizing and writing it all.  I think that I will probably forgo the use of our lawyer if the extra paperwork becomes necessary, because to be honest, I'm quite disappointed with the service he has provided thus far.

Please keep us in your prayers, because we do believe that prayer makes a difference.  And I can't even imagine the joy that I will feel WHEN The Dreamer and I receive news of an approval.  Just imagine lots of dancing, crying, laughing, jumping up and down and screaming "WE'RE APPROVED!", probably followed by an awe-struck, unbelieving silence.  (Or maybe it will be the silence first and the celebration second?  Who cares, just so long as it happens.)

9 comments:

  1. Good luck to you both. I hope the waiver is approved. Don't expect a determination on it soon. We Sent our packet in about a year ago and still haven't heard anything on it yet!

    Due to our bad experiences with immigration lawyers we decided to do the research ourselves and sent our waivers in without help from a lawyer. From the positive feedback we've gotten from other lawyers who have seen the copies, we did a good job!

    It's too bad there are so many unqualified and unethical lawyers out there. It gives a bad name to those few lawyers who actually have expertise and look out for the interests of their clients.

    Let us know when you hear anything!

    Brightest Blessings,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the well wishes, Beth! Fortunately, because our waiver is going through Lima,Peru, we are pretty confident that we should get a response in October. Waiver processing time in Lima has consistently been 6 months or less recently. I'm sorry that yours has taken so long. I'm guessing since your husband is still in the U.S. that it's going through some sort of domestic office. Do they give you any guide as to how quickly that office is processing waivers? I really hope you hear soon and that it's a positive outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending positive vibes your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw try not to stress out too much! Just send in your additional evidence before the decision. I2US is definitely helpful - you can post your letter on there for new ideas too. Remember I2US is just a small corner of the population who submit waivers, there are also people who have no idea what a waiver is and show up with a handwritten note about their hardships (not that you want to do that). My guess is what you've submitted is still above average and, if you send it additional evidence to tweak it, you should be fine!

    I'm getting worried too... I gave my lawyer a draft of my hardships and I keep having doubts that what I have will meet the standard! I think our interview will be soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Laura! Thanks for the comments. It is sooooo hard not to worry. But, that's a good point about I2US being only a small corner of the population submitting I601's - I never thought of it that way. I have to say, I am feeling a lot better, though, after finding out that I can go ahead and submit a revised packet with more evidence now without it pushing back the decision date. My husband and I both feel we will have a much stronger case with the new hardship and evidence we will be turning in so I'm feeling pretty positive :-)

    Now don't YOU start getting worried ;-) There seem to be a lot of approvals coming out of Lima, so I have faith that we'll both have our hubbies back soon! Let me know when you get your interview . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are visualizing "APPROVED" for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to the website, it's 3:30am and I'm still reading everything on there! Maybe I can drop the lawyer and pick up from here and do it myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tellthejourney, Thanks!!

    And, Krystal, I did the exact same thing when I found that site :-D

    ReplyDelete